[mythtv-users] Lirc woes on Edgy Eft [SOLVED]

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 01:15:26 UTC 2007

On 27/04/07, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
> > ...you may want a symlink between /dev/lirc and /dev/lirc0 (this
> > is the most common device problem I've seen)
> >
> Yes, this is exactly what the problem turned out to be.
>
> For the sake of completeness in the archives, in case others come across
> this trouble, here is what I did:
>
> I tried changing permissions on /dev/lirc, but that made no difference.
>
> Then I made a symlink from lirc0 to lirc in the dev directory, then
> restarted the daemon. Dmesg still reported the same error as before.
>
> However, this time I checked /var/syslog, and it said:
> could not open /dev/lirc0
> default_init(): No such device
>
> So maybe just adding the symlink and restarting the daemon was not good
> enough. Not knowing what else to do, I rebooted.
>
> When I was logged back in, I typed in "irw", and now I can see signals
> from my remote! Dmesg also shows the lirc module being correctly loaded,
> with no errors.
>
> Thank you for that advice. You hit the nail on the head.

Glad you've got it working - this is *still* the most common LIRC
device problem I've seen :)

If your broken LIRC state was that of the standard LIRC installation
on your distribution, one of two things needs to likely be amended for
your distro - either the udev rule for LIRC that is distributed needs
to include a symlink rule to automatically create the /dev/lirc0
device when the /dev/lirc device is created, or the lircd daemon needs
to be told explicitly in the lircd init script to use /dev/lirc
instead of /dev/lirc0.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: