[mythtv-users] Remote frontend won't connect to backend

Ole Wolf wolf-dated-1178829226.18fcf8 at blazingangles.com
Thu Apr 26 20:33:42 UTC 2007

I realize this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find
an answer to the question on Google.

I'm having problems setting up a frontend on a new machine, which complains
that it can't connect to the remote backend.

My MythTV box, named "media.mydomain.com," has a backend running and a
frontend running, and this combination works fine.

It seems it's possible to create a connections to the appropriate services on
the MythTV box:

* I'm able to connect to the MySQL database running on "media.mydomain.com"
from the new machine.

* I'm also able to telnet from the new machine to the backend
on "media.mydomain.com" using the command "telnet media.mydomain.com 6543".

* When I run "mythwelcome" on my new machine for the first time, the settings
I enter on my new machines appear to be stored in the MySQL database
on "media.mydomain.com".

* There are no firewalls active on the LAN, and SELinux is off. All of the
machines on the LAN look up each other's host name via the same DNS server.

But, when I start "mythfrontend" or "mythwelcome" a second time on the new
machine, here's what the frontend says:

2007-04-26 21:55:29.565 Connecting to backend server: media.mydomain.com:6543
(try 1 of 5)
2007-04-26 21:55:29.566 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.

The timeouts occur instantly.

I've checked the database on "media.mydomain.com," and the "settings" entry
for "MasterServerIP" is "media.mydomain.com".

I'm lost: can anyone help me narrow down why I can't connect to the backend on
the MythTV box from my new machine?

 - wolf -