[mythtv-users] autoexpire but the file isn't there?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 26 18:45:45 UTC 2007

On 04/26/2007 02:30 PM, Rich West wrote:
> Hrmm.. I just noticed that, over the course of the last two days, I'm
> seeing a lot of the following error message:
>
> "ERROR when trying to autoexpire file:
> /video/4294967295_20070423233053.mpg. File doesn't exist. Database
> metadata will not be removed."
>
> Now, it's pretty obvious what it means: the video file does not exist.
> And, I have confirmed that it doesn't exist (not sure why not).  What
> does it mean about the metadata not being removed?  Is this something I
> should clean up?  If so, how?

It just means it's not going to remove the recording information from
your database.  It does this because it's possible that the video file
may be stored on a not-currently available filesystem.  Therefore, if it
removed the info from the DB, when that filesystem came back later, it
would still contain the file since Myth can't delete a non-existent
file, meaning that you have gigs of space used by a file that you can't
play through Myth and that you had expected Myth to manage for you.

Mike