[mythtv-users] Can you clone X output to different inputs of a single display?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:46:22 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a plasma TV which has VGA and HDMI inputs. Is it possible to
> config xorg.conf so that it does a clone twinview through the VGA and
> DVI outputs of my nVidia card to the the VGA and HDMI inputs of the
> TV?
>
> Why do I want to do this? Because the picture with HDMI input looks
> great, but there's too much overscan for the Shift-Alt-F1 console to
> be usable. Whereas with VGA the picture's not so great but the console
> works well. If there's another way of sorting out my console with HDMI
> input that would may be better - this is just one idea I had.

I was doing this on my system during setup. I have an NVidia 6200
running Ubuntu Edgy 64. I had X output on both S-vid, and DVI
(w/adapter to HDMI input).
the S-vid input was not overscanned, but the HDMI was, so I was
toggling between the 2, using the console on S-vid, then startx and
switch over to HDMI for better res. This worked perfectly until I
ditched the stock kernel and built my own, reinstalled nvidia drivers
and no longer get output on the S-vid.
-J