[mythtv-users] MythTV digital STB firewire question

MooseTV mythtv at funkymoose.net
Thu Apr 26 04:50:52 UTC 2007

I have used MythTV for a few years and was very happy when our local
cable company chose Motorola DCT-6200 series for digital set top
boxes.  I switched from a PVR-250 to a firewire controlled HD DVR and
never looked back.  I went in today to pick up a new STB and found
that they have switched to Pace (TDC775D) STBs.  I brought one home
and assumed the worst, but have been testing it a bit and am now
wondering.

A run of "test-mpeg2" generates a mpeg ts file that can be viewed in
mythplayer, so firewire out is enabled and generates a valid mpeg2
transport stream.  Using the mythsetup firewire DCT-6200 preset
results in accurate channel changes for scheduled recordings.
However, recordings and liveTV are not working correctly. LiveTV
fails after about 10 seconds, with a "socket went unconnected" error
in the mythbackend log.  Scheduled recordings generate a zero k file
that continue to be "written" to until the recording schedule ends or
is canceled.  Using the "other" firewire option in mythsetup doesn't
work at all.

So, with capturable firewire out and working channel changing and
scheduling, it seems like this box has could work.  Any suggestions
as to next steps (or archive search advice) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian