[mythtv-users] MythTV recovery groups?

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 04:18:11 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:

> MythTV.  I've
> record
> only
> work.  I
> F10 +
> christ
> >>>
> >> Regardless of how mysterious any system problems seem to you, each one
> >> has a clear cause and a solution. Keep that in mind. There's no voodoo
> >> - it's all files and code.
> >>

> > Unless, of course, it's silicon, heat, or electricity.  That's where all
> > the voodoo is.
>
> That's the truth.  :)
>
> I've solved a number of client's problems (not myth related, but system
> related) solely by cleaning the vents and adding fans additional fans to
> their systems.
>
> In regard to the original poster, someone else posted this, but it is
> worth echoing: try different hardware with a fresh-clean OS and MythTV
> install using ATrpms (Jarod's guide is good to follow) or do a fresh
> install of something like MythDora.

I don't want to turn this into a "this is better than that" argument, but i
was in your exact same position.
I struggled for ages because i brought the wrong TV card (back in 0.14)
Nothing would work properly.

I then did what several people here have suggested. I scrapped the lot. I
formatted all the HDD and then went back to the list and made sure that all
of my hardware would work. Because i live in AUS we have a good Digital TV
setup i chose the DIVCO cards adn i have never looked back.

I recently switched to myth DORA as i really do not have time to install
using Jarrod's guide. Mythdora is very well done, all it is a pre-packaged
version of the current release of myth. And interestingly i see that Jarod
has joined the Dora effort, (not sure what).

The main thing is to take a step back, pull everything apart and and format
everything. then start again. that way you will know that you are working
with the latest fixes. Then make sure that your components are compatible
with Linux and myth.
then take it step by step. this list is a great thing, search and ye shall
find. if not post a question, give as much detail as passable, including
what you have done to get here, parts and what version of myth your are
running.

Please dont give up, once it works it is great. My wife will not allow me to
toch or "upgrade" ours. so the WAF will and does rise when it works.

CH