[mythtv-users] Black screen on new frontend during playback

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 26 02:57:59 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> On 4/23/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe some more info that can help out:
>>
>> I just installed mplayer and I _can_ get video to play on that no
>> problem... so, here's what I know:
>>
>> 1) mythtv will show the preview in the recordings menu
>> 2) mythtv will not show video when played (standard mpeg decoder/ffmpeg)
>> 3) mplayer will show video - I did not use any flags
>> 4) tried several different versions of the nvidia binary driver as
>> well as some of the ubuntu packages.  All had the same result
>>
>> So... this is where I throw it back to the brilliant minds of the
>> mythtv community.  HELP PLEASE! :-D
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Matt
>>

> Still can't find anything... any other info I can help provide?
> Daniel, any wisdom you might be able to share?

Somehow/somewhere you have a problem with your Xorg setup. Most likely
your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file is not correct, or the myth configure
setup was wrong on compiling. (It's easiest to just enable every Xv type
  switch and let the configure script figure out which you can actually
use..but you must have your nvidia or via driver correctly installed to
start with).

Myth is rather sensitive to the correct xvmc setup, because it uses that
capability quite seriously. You can even have myth working in the Watch
Recordings screen, *with previews* and still get the black screen when
you attempt to play a recording. (AND, it blasts CPU usage to 100% and
it takes a while to recover).

Been There Done That... and recently too....

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor