[mythtv-users] "I'm idle now... shutdown will occur..." messages during daily wakeup periods?

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Thu Apr 26 01:12:38 UTC 2007

David Rees wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is the way the idle behaviour works.    It roughly works as
>> follows:
>>
>>     * Backend determines that it's idle if a) it has no clients
>>       connected, and b) there are no recordings happening.  At this
>>       point it starts the idle countdown.
>>     * Once the countdown reaches 0, it call "mythshudown --check" to see
>>       if it's allowed to shutdown (i.e. it takes the wake up periods,
>>       transcode/commflag jobs, etc into account)
>>     * If the shutdown is denied, then the idle countdown starts again.
>>       This happens over and over.
>>
>> It doesn't seem ideal to me, but it works ok.
>>

> Thanks for the information. It seems to we could save a lot of logging
> by calling the `mythshutdown --check` before starting the countdown,
> no? You might also want to doublecheck right before shutting down, but
> I don't see that as being a huge issue...

Yeah.   I had the same thought.  I might address this after my first
patch is accepted.

It's a bit trickier than you might think because doing this change
naively would cause "mythshutdown --check" to be called every second
whilst the backend isn't recording (or a client is connected).    But
with some thought (and discussion with others) I might be able to figure
out a good approach.

-- Matt