[mythtv-users] will Nova-T 500 work?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Apr 25 23:08:39 UTC 2007

On Tue Apr 24, 2007 at 02:29:52AM -0700, Frank Mckinney wrote:

> If I follow the 'normal' install (as normal and standard as MythTV
> gets anyway) and use the latest drivers supplied by linuxtv.org and
> mythtv, will I be able to avoid the disconnect and other problems, do
> you think?

In my experience, no.  I've been using the Nova-T 500 for nearly 6
months now and am still getting diconnects approximately every month
(this is running the latest linuxtv.org drivers with 0.20-fixes mythtv
(with EIT disabled - last time I enabled it in increased the disconnect
to an almost daily basis),  The latest DVB changes have prevented a
kernel oops on disconnect but mythbackend still needs restarting so it's
not a huge improvemenet,

However, having said that, I'm very happy with the Nova-T 500 card.  The
irritation of dealing with the occasioanl disconnect is more that offset
by the convenience of the dual-tuner DVB-T card (especially in the
constrained confines of the 2-slot case I'm pretty much stuck with).

I've had to add an IR receiver to replace the old Nova-T card I had.
This has presented some issues as it's more sensitive to interference
(though also pick up a wider range of signals) than the Nova-T receiver.
I'm happier having the IR reception separated from the video card (from
an abstract perspective) though as it makes it far simpler to change
video cards in future.

Anyway, I think that pretty much covers my views on the Nova-T 500.
There's a fair bit of work still to do on it but the developers seem
aware of the issues and working on them, which is more than many other
cards.  From my point of view there's also no competition for a
dual-tuner DVB-T card so I'm stuck with USB tuners otherwise - which I'm
(probably unfairly) biased against.

Cheers,
        Robin

--