[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Wed Apr 25 21:15:42 UTC 2007

On 25 Apr 2007 at 15:43, Shiloh Madsen wrote:

> Ok, I dug around in the last few months of posts for a while and I am
> having a hard time figuring out if I am sunk before I get started or
> not. Basically, I am wanting to set up a PC as a MythTV box, however I
> am getting TV via satellite. I gather that piping HD content into the
> box is pretty near impossible (though I am not sure I understand why
> exactly that is), however, what about your standard run of the mill
> TV? I am not going to be watching anything on an HD display for a few
> years yet anyway (Poor college student heh) so that is no big deal.
> The problem is, someone told me that there are no tv capture/tuner
> cards that will work with a satellite box. Is this true or not?

Not exactly.

If the satellite reciever has an RF-out connection, then you can run that into
the capture card. Or if it has S-video-out then you can use a capture card
with an S-video-in. Or, if you're lucky, some recievers have firewire-out and
you can capture the signal from that.

Two things you cannot do (as far as I know) is capture a satellite signal
without using the settop box, or capture HD.

> If it
> is not true, can someone recommend to me some good cards that work
> well with MythTV? Thanks in advance.

Hauppauge PVR150 and it's relatives.

Marvin