[mythtv-users] Plextor TV402U, laptops, saving power and a rebate

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Apr 25 17:28:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:26:39AM -0400, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > Sadly, here in California it's about $100 per year of electicity.  $300
> > over the 3 year life which may be more than the cost of the computer
> > itself!  That's because PG&E charges 22.7 cents over the baseline of
> > 330 kwy kwh/month in summer and 600 kwh/month in winter and
> > 31.7 cents/kwh over double that and 36.4 cents over triple that.
> >
> > So my incremental kwh cost a lot.  Each watt is $2.78 per year.
> >
> > Your server is great, but I need HD, at least in the frontends.
> > Today, it might be worth looking into a low power server based on
> > something like a mobile core 2 duo with speedstep etc.  Do they
> > make server motherboards for Merom or similar low wattage processors
> > able to do HD?
> >
> > The video cards also suck power.  Alas for HD Myth you typically
> > are looking for a video card, on-board video rarely cuts it.
> >
>  	That said, how many people have successfully gotten the
> bios/wakeup thing to go?  What seems ideal would be to have LinuxBIOS set
> up (for fast booting), and auto-waking/sleeping at record time.  No point
> in having everything powered up when nobody is watching.
>
>  	It sounds like a big mess of getting *exactly* the right hardware,
> but it might be worth it.

I have managed to get WOL to work on a number of machines.  It's the
suspend that's usually hard.  You often do have to have the linux machine
do a "ethtool -s eth0 wol g"  while up to make it work.

Since, as noted, getting this right saves hundreds of dollars -- perhaps as
much as $500 over the life of a system, it can even be worth replacing
hardware to get it right.