[mythtv-users] Can't Do HD ATSC Playback

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:57:31 UTC 2007

Yeah, the card should work well with XvMC, including the Color OSD
hack on the wiki, at least as well as anything else does (getting XvMC
working properly can be very hit or miss.)  If I were you however, I
might poke around a bit more to find a 5200 with DVI, VGA, and
S-Video, or just DVI and S-Video and one of those little DVI->VGA
adaptors they all seem to come with.  If in the future you ever get a
real HDTV (and soon that's probably all you'll be able to buy), you'll
be much more likely to find one with DVI in than VGA in.

Mythtv wouldn't have a problem with the scaling, its just like
watching a video in a tiny window.  My concern is that supposedly some
video cards can't handle such large scaling amounts, going from a
1920x1080 video to a (supposedly) 800x600 output.  I saw some posts on
this list somewhere about "bad" 5200s that had these problems, but I
can't find them at the moment.  I'm also not entirely sure how XvMC
interacts with the scaling factor, although I know that it is capable
of scaling from 1920x1080 down to 1280x720 and vice versa.