[mythtv-users] MythTV recovery groups?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:08:08 UTC 2007

> Amen to that.  I got Myth up and running in September, and I'll tell you
> this.  I'm a NOVICE when it comes to Linux, even though I ran two ISPs in
> Dallas whose systems were entirely based on SunOS and Linux.
>
> This is a good rule though, and people say it over and over and over and
> over.  Get it working, and DON'T TOUCH IT if you don't want it to break.  :)
>  I haven't followed my own rule, because I love "Latest Greatest", so I
> update to the current SVN every couple of months.  It IS painful, but heck,
> Myth is the only system out there to suppose SO much hardware, and SO many
> different types of systems.
>
> I just purchased a bundle from Snapstream, and I'll tell you, it's pretty
> nice.  For BASIC PVR features, it's pretty, it's easy to setup, and it
> works.  But, I just love the added flexibility (and to be honest, stability
> on Linux), that Myth provides.
>
> So, my $0.02 worth, maybe try:
> - Starting over with an easier package like MythDora (Wilson is now on this
> team).
> - Try out something simpler like BeyondTV
>

> On 4/25/07, Kevin Slater <kevin.slater at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sometimes it's just like that. Find another avenue to tape your shows.
> Life's too short to be that frustrated. (And I speak from volumes of
> experience with frustration..)
> >
> > ...Kevin
> >

> > On 4/25/07, M@ < msheppard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am a couple years into a very unsuccessful relationship with MythTV.
> I've reached a low-bottom tonight - the backend crashed and failed to record
> Gilmore Girls which pissed the wife off - and when I went to watch the only
> Colbert Report it recorded for some reason and had the sound not work.  I
> have solved the sound problem at least a dozen times - and tonight the F10 +
> F11 keys no longer seem to affect the volume.  Why?  For the love of christ
> WHY?
> > >
> > > I am close to the edge.  I need help.  I know this system can work - and
> I have had some glorious moments of streaming live TV to random computers -
> but it's just seeming to not be worth it!
> > >
> > > I subscribe to this list, I comb the wikis and newsgroups - but I just
> can't take it anymore.  I call home and the wife says, "Myth crashed again"
> and I want to throw the phone into a lake and never use electricity again.
> > >
> > > On the edge in NH,
> > > M@

I don't know if this will be any consolation to you, but I have been
using myth full time in my living room since version 0.14.  The
software has always been completely stable and reliable once I have
gotten everything working.  The only problems I have had came from
power failures or my struggling with my HD-3000.

It is possible to have a system you can trust.  One thing I do to keep
the backend up at all times is use daemon tools monitoring software:

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html