[mythtv-users] boot off compact flash

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 12:52:04 UTC 2007

Stroller wrote:
> The system is to be a combined FE / BE.
>
> As I understand it is advisable not to put / on the same hard-drive
> as a video store.
> Am I wrong?
>
> Because if I need to put / on a separate hard-drive then my choices are:
> - buy an 80gig hard-drive (the smallest currently available new)
> for / and leave it mostly empty
> - find an old 20gig - 40gig drive lying around & use that.
>
> In either of these cases it seems to me that having two hard-drives
> running will be noisier than having merely one. An older drive that I
> had lying around is likely to be older and particularly noisy!!

Or get a laptop hard drive. Appropriately soft mounted(elastic bands or
similar) they're effectively as quiet as a CF drive with none of the
limitations.

I did go down the CF route with a dedicated FE system and while it
worked the CF drive stopped me from tinkering much with the system(and
advantage to some I guess) as I was paranoid about chewing up writes.

I eventually gave up and just got a SATA laptop drive(5400 rpm one). I
can now happily tinker and in fact have two separate versions of the
FE(stable and unstable) and it produces no extra noise that I can detect.

Matt