[mythtv-users] OT advice on DVB card numbering

Razza ray at brambletree.net
Wed Apr 25 12:28:49 UTC 2007

All,

I have been messing around with my Myth backend this weekend, and am looking
for a bit of guidance on how I can set specific cards to specific adaptor
numbers/IRQ's.

I have two DVB cards (at the moment) both using the SAA7146 chipset, one is
DVB-T and the other DVB-S, as I say I have been messing around quite a bit
including pci slot swapping. Anyway, things got really messed up in Myth
when the DVB-S was suddenly /dev/dvb/adaptor0 as opposed to
/dev/dvb/adaptor1 which it had always been recognised as.

Whilst this doesn't present a massive problem at the moment, as I am still
configuring my backend (i.e. non-production), it struck me that in the
future if a card died (lets say /dev/dvb/adaptor0) and had to be removed,
this would then mess up all my other cards - as another card would become
/dev/dvb/adaptor0, with others renumbering also.

Ultimately my system with have either-

2 x SAA7146 DVB-S and 2 x SAA7146 DVB-T (with the 2 DVB-S cards looking at
different satellites hence different programming).

  or

3 x SAA7146 DVB-S and 1 x SAA7146 DVB-T (with the 3 DVB-S cards looking at
different satellites hence different programming).

How can I pin a specific card to a specific /dev/dvb/adaptor address and/or
IRQ ?

I'm running FC5 built using Jarods fantastic guide.

Cheers all