[mythtv-users] Plextor TV402U, laptops, saving power and a rebate

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Apr 25 05:20:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:00:00AM -0400, Peter A. Daly wrote:
> I'm only using avg 37 watts for this:
> http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/hardware/low-power-mythtv-server.html
>
> Although I only use it for SD.
>
> Is that too much?
>
> -Pete

Sadly, here in California it's about $100 per year of electicity.  $300
over the 3 year life which may be more than the cost of the computer
itself!  That's because PG&E charges 22.7 cents over the baseline of
330 kwy kwh/month in summer and 600 kwh/month in winter and
31.7 cents/kwh over double that and 36.4 cents over triple that.

So my incremental kwh cost a lot.  Each watt is $2.78 per year.

Your server is great, but I need HD, at least in the frontends.
Today, it might be worth looking into a low power server based on
something like a mobile core 2 duo with speedstep etc.  Do they
make server motherboards for Merom or similar low wattage processors
able to do HD?

The video cards also suck power.  Alas for HD Myth you typically
are looking for a video card, on-board video rarely cuts it.