[mythtv-users] HDTV antenna quandry

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Apr 25 05:03:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:40:43PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Mark napsal(a):
> You don't need any fancy stuff; just ordinary high quality splitters
> will do.  I get a lot of my stuff from <http://www.summitsource.com/>.
>
> Oh, and sacrificing a chicken won't hurt....  Be prepared to spend a
> couple of days climbing on the roof tweaking antennas....  :-)

I have to say for me it was a 21st century moment to be up on my
rooftop, with a laptop with 802.11 in it, ssh'd in to the server down
below, running dtvsignal as I moved my antenna around looking for the
best location for my antenna.

(To make it a _really_ 21st century moment, I would have used
the metrofi municipal wireless that is outside my house, and
been connected through who knows where back to the server!)

If somebody with lots of spare time feels up to it, it would
be nice to have an "antenna aiming" application.   With this
app, you would first select the channels you want to receive.

Then you would slowly rotate your antenna for one pass.  It
would scan all your channels rapidly, and then identify which
location gave the best "mix" -- ie. best lock on all the channels
at once, or most of them if that's not possible.   You could
also do this manually with a program that would display
simultaneously the signal strength and lock for all the channels
in your list.   You would have to turn very slowly.   It
might be simplyer to identify a smaller subset of channels
from the 2 or 3 antenna hills you are aiming for rather than
all of them.