[mythtv-users] Plextor TV402U, laptops, saving power and a rebate

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Wed Apr 25 02:43:59 UTC 2007

> So I'm interested in people's tales of how hard it was to get these things
> working:
>         The tv402u or the wintv-pvr-usb

I have the M402U.  I had a lot of trouble getting it to compile on an
AMD64, the OSS drivers for alsa would crap out any time they would
load.   I think it was an alsa issue, not an M402U issue, but you have
to have the OSS layer for recording.  I was able to get them to install
on an old laptop, so that became a slave backend with a small disk.  Of
course since there wasn't much room, I had to come up with a way to move
things to the master backend with more space...  I needed to use the
patches on Gentoo bugzilla to get the drivers to compile with a recent
kernel and recent ALSA.  See http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_go7007 for
more info.  I'm not sure that you use Gentoo, but the information should
be relevant in some respects.
>         Suspend/hibernate with nvidia card

Not doing this...
>         Automatic script to move recordings when slave comes up

Here's the script I use... it's set to run in the middle of the night so
that there is little chance that I might be watching one of the shows,
also, it only takes things that are at least 6 hours old so *hopefully*
there are not commercial flagging jobs or transcoding or the like running.

#!/bin/bash

DIR=/tv

cd $DIR && \

for i in $(find $DIR -mmin +360|grep -v png$)
do
        FILE=$(basename $i)
        scp -q $i mythtv at htpc:/data/tv && \
        /usr/bin/mysql -u mythtv --password=mythtv -h chardonnay
mythconverg -e "update recorded set hostname=\"htpc\" where
basename=\"$FILE\";" && \
        rm $i && \
        if [ -f $i.png ]
        then
                rm $i.png
        fi
done

This script runs on the slave backend through cron at 3:00 AM and copies
the files to the master backend "htpc".  I have public key
authentication setup for ssh so that I can scp without a password.
>         Master backend on an old 1.2ghz presario laptop.

Mine is a 1.5 GHz Pentium M.