[mythtv-users] wiki for using mythweather-revamp

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Apr 25 01:58:39 UTC 2007

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK.. a couple of things.  Once you have mythweather-revamp installed,
>>> you need to (I'm going to use FC paths here, so you will have to adjust
>>> accordingly for your distro):
>>> 1. Copy weather_settings.xml to /usr/share/mythtv/weather_settings.xml
>>> 2. REMOVE /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/weather-ui.xml
>>> 3. REMOVE /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default-wide/weather-ui.xml
>>> 4. COPY (or move) the new weather-ui.xml file (part of
>>> mythweather-revamp) to /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/weather-ui.xml
>>> and to /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default-wide/weather-ui.xml
>>> 5. REMOVE any weather-ui.xml files from the other themes that you have
>>> installed.  If you have one in your current theme, your MythTV install
>>> will use that rather than the default one.  Since there aren't
>>> theme-specific ones for mythweather-revamp yet, just remove the ones you
>>> have because it will cause the app to crash.
>>>
>>> That should help with the crashing another user reported.  Now, as far
>>> as the source stuff... For one, make sure that all of the *.pl scripts
>>> are executable in /usr/share/mythtv/mythtweather/scripts.  Now, with all
>>> of that set:
>>> 1. start up your frontend and go to "Utilities/Setup"->"Setup"->"Info
>>> Center Settings"->"Weather Settings"->"Screen Settings".
>>> 2. Arrow down to the first item in your list of "Active Screens".
>>> 3. Now, with the first one highlighted, hit "ENTER", and a new menu will
>>> pop-up.
>>> 4. Select "Change Location" to bring up the search page.  Enter in your
>>> location (unfortunately, this part is a bit specific to the NWS, so take
>>> a peel in the NWS-Stations.xml file for something close to you) and hit
>>> search.  Select your location from the search results and hit "enter".
>>> This will close the search window and move focus back to the list of
>>> "Active Screens".
>>> 5. Go through each of the entries in the "Active Screens" in the same
>>> manner.
>>> 6. When you are done with all of the active screens, hit "M" to go back
>>> to the menu.  This will save all of your settings.  They are NOT saved
>>> until you do that.  If you hit ESC at any time to go back to the
>>> previous menu, your changes will be lost.
>>>
>>> I hope the above helps. :)
>>>
>>> -Rich
>>>
>> Thanks!  *This* helped.
>>
>> Now, it appears that the NWS (at least my station) doesn't support the
>> maps - does this sound correct?
>>

> Also, for some reason, it doesn't appear to show forecasts other than
> the 18-hour one.

Check in the maps.xml file and look for your location in it.  Check to
see if anything is defined within <static_url></static_url> or within
the <animated></animated> tags.  That's where it gets the image from.

I know this isn't your issue, but it is worth mentioning that in order
for the NWS script to work, your local station *must* have an longitude
and latitude defined in NWS-Stations.xml.

And, as another FYI, the main downside of the NWS data is that their
service is still "beta", and, as such, it does not get updated as
frequently as it should.

-Rich