[mythtv-users] "I'm idle now... shutdown will occur..." messages during daily wakeup periods?

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Tue Apr 24 23:37:02 UTC 2007

David Rees wrote:
> I recently got myth combination back/front end automatically shutting
> down at night. I just noticed that occasionally it will print "I'm
> idle now... shutdown will occur..." messages even during the
> DailyWakeup periods which was disconcerting at first as I was watching
> the logs and thought myth was going to shutdown even though it
> shouldn't have.
>
> Anyone else see this?

Hi Dave,

Yes, this is the way the idle behaviour works.    It roughly works as
follows:

    * Backend determines that it's idle if a) it has no clients
      connected, and b) there are no recordings happening.  At this
      point it starts the idle countdown.
    * Once the countdown reaches 0, it call "mythshudown --check" to see
      if it's allowed to shutdown (i.e. it takes the wake up periods,
      transcode/commflag jobs, etc into account)
    * If the shutdown is denied, then the idle countdown starts again.
      This happens over and over.

It doesn't seem ideal to me, but it works ok.

I've found one major problem with the approach.  If the countdown
reaches 0, and one transcode/commflag job has completed, but the next
has not yet started, the machine will be shutdown.  Even if there are
many jobs waiting in the queue.  I've implemented a patch last night
against trunk to fix this problem.  (See here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/265782)

Cheers,
Matt