[mythtv-users] Fwd: Best use of 2 500G drives in FE/BE system

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:20:16 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Shane Hickey <shane at howsyournetwork.com> wrote:
> Do you favor jfs, reiserfs, xfs or ext3 for your video storage?  I'll probably do ext3 for /boot and /.  I normally use reiserfs and I've never had a problem, but it seems like people don't often pick that for their myth setups.

I am in the middle of debugging a memory hungry windows application so
I have to be brief...
I use both XFS and reiserfs  for my myth storage groups. The problem
that causes reiserfs to not be recommended is that resiserfs takes
significantly longer and uses a lot of resources when deleting 2 GB
files vs xfs and other filesystems. A problem with xfs is that xfs
does not allow shrinking the partition where reiserfs does. I have had
to do this a few times as I needed to allocate more space in my lvm
for something else I shrunk the mythstore. Out of the box ext3 is
slower than both rieserfs and xfs because it guarantees a higher level
of consistency on a crash. However since my linux systems never crash
(ok 1 kernel panic on 50+ gentoo systems in 3 years of 24/7/365 at
work) I do not see the worse performance worth it. Although I have not
experienced this myself I have heard XFS can cause system instability
when using the default 4k kernel stacks and using linux software raid.
As for jfs, I do have a few disks partitioned with it but not enough
to come to any real conclusion.

John