[mythtv-users] debugging backend problems

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:01:47 UTC 2007

On 24/04/07, M L Truscott <mltruscott at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 00:10:41 Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 23/04/07, M L Truscott <mltruscott at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > I am having 2 serious problems with my system as the backend crashes on a
> > > too regular basis and I occassionaly get blank recordings with the
> > > message "the recording cannot be found".
> >
> > Does the mythbackend process crash, or does the whole system crash?

> Only the backend process crashes, the rest of the system is fine including
> Myth-frontend.

(replies edited inline)

Are you running mythcommflag on your recordings? If you are, disable
it and see if the problems go away.

> > > How do I find the root causes of these problems?
> > >
> > > The log in /var/log just stops for the backend halting - no error
> > > messages.
> >
> > What hardware are you using?
> >
> I am using an athlon 3200 with 2 pci dvb-t cards and a hauppage usb nova-t
> stick.

I'd be tempted to remove the USB stick whilst debugging initially and
just keep the 2 PCI DVB cards in operation. Does MythTV successfully
record from all 3 DVB devices when the system is operating normally?

> > What version of MythTV are you running?
> >
> The mythtv version is 0.20 that is with the current ubuntu.
>
> > What logging verbosity are you using for your MythTV logs?
> >
> Verbosity is whatever is standard.

You should increase verbosity to include at least record in your
backend log. You should also closely monitor dmesg and your syslog for
any entries around the time of a crash.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: