[mythtv-users] Help with wife issues (multiple front ends start)

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:33:53 UTC 2007

Well, I tried out BeyondTV for a week or so, and I have to say...  "NOT
GONNA DO IT!  WOULDN'T BE PRUDENT!"
We just love the features Myth has!  :)

The one thing is that really bothering the wife, is that on bootup, two
copies of the Frontend are starting up, one on top of the other.  So,
sometimes one of them is playing a video, and somehow the window switches,
and the other one is playing, all while the backend is recording, and the
system grinds to a non-workable slowness.  So, she just hits the reset
button (OUCH!), which starts clean, but there are still two copies of the
frontend running...

I am autologging on as mythtv, and this is in my .kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh

#!/bin/bash

# Only do this stuff if we're on the main display
# (i.e., don't do this in a vnc session)
if [ `echo $DISPLAY | grep -c ":0"` -ge 1 ]
then
        # Launch myth frontend
        xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0
        mythfrontend &
        # Disable dynamic power management (screen blanking)
        #/usr/bin/xset -dpms
        # Disable screen saver
        /usr/bin/xset s off
fi
exit

This appeared (or more accurately, I screwed this up), when at the same
time, I lost a BUNCH of menu items from the "Start" menu.  Things like
Administration, Utilities, Control Center, etc... are all gone!  Also, some
how the "Process Table" also starts up automatically.

What could I have done that fubarred this?