[mythtv-users] Best use of 2 500G drives in FE/BE system

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Apr 24 17:09:06 UTC 2007

Shane Hickey wrote:
> So,  I got all my new hardware and I want to partition my new Gentoo MythTV box.  My case only supports 2 drives, so I have 2 500G SATA drives in there.  Now, here's my question.  Do I...
>
> a) create /, /usr, /var, /tmp as Raid1.  Then use the rest of the disk on both disks to be put into an LVM volume and use that for /video.  In this scenario, if a disk dies my system is still fine, but I'm going to lose about half of my recordings
>
> b) Do the same thing as a), only stripe the disk remainder before putting it into LVM.  I still risk losing recordings, but I'm thinking that this might be faster than straight LVM.  Or, does LVM stripe?
>
> c) Mirror both disks, and then do LVM on top of the RAID1 mirror for the /video partition.  This is nice and safe, but then I don't get buckets and buckets of recording time
>
> On my old system, I had a single 80G IDE drive (for /, /usr and all of that) and an external 250G usb drive (for /video).  I was always hovering around 90% on the /video partition.  So, I suppose that 400-450G will be a big improvement, but I'm drooling for ~900G.

Upgrade to SVN if you are not already there, and partition one drive as
/video1 and 400G of the other as /video2. Name both as part of the
default group in Storage Groups (#6) in mythtv-setup.

LVM will give you the same effect. Raid1 won't do any better IIRC...If
you mirror, then you are dropping half your storage space.

If you are really worried about *losing TV shows*!!! Then do NOT add
both partitions to the Default Storage Group, but use one as a direct
copy backup for the stuff you really want to save. I think you can do
that by setting up different Storage Groups which are available within
myth (I have not explored that option and may be wrong).

You can actually run the entire myth box from a '/' of 20G BTW.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue