[mythtv-users] Best use of 2 500G drives in FE/BE system

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:03:54 UTC 2007

> John Drescher wrote:
> > I have been using 2 330GB drives in gentoo for around 8 months.
> > I raid 0 /tmp. Then raid 1 /boot and raid 1 / separately. Then create
> > a swap partition on each drive. And then create a vg for each drive
> > (/dev/vg0 and /dev/vg1). On each vg I create a lvm for my video
> > storage and use storage groups to use multiple video stores
> > (/dev/vg0/mythstore /dev/vg1/mythstore).
> >

> wow, that sounds complicated! I don't really understand. Can you explain
> the overall concept?

30 GB Raid 0 for my /tmp formatted with ext2 to make dvd creation fast.

2 swap files to spread the load evenly and to make the partition
tables of my disks be the same (this is best for software raid). BTW.
I put swap as the second partition as hard drives are fastest at the
outer tracks. Although since swap is rarely used this is not
necessary.

256 MB Raid 1 for boot formatted with ext2. I have grub installed in
both drives and my system will happily boot with one drive connected.

40GB Raid 1 for / formated with reiserfs. I like to keep / and /boot
on separate partitions with /boot only mounted when I install a new
kernel.

Now for the LVM stuff. I do this as I use my machine for more than
just mythtv so I have more file systems in the volume groups than the
videos. One such partition is emulation as I have a 40GB partition
dedicated to qemu/vmware on one of the disks and for the partitions I
expect that I might want to reduce the size of I make sure I format
them with reiserfs as xfs does not allow shrinking.

John