[mythtv-users] eeeek something broke on ffmpeg and associated programs

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 24 10:31:54 UTC 2007

Stephen Kitchener wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I wonder if someone has seen the following......
>
> The rpms from Atrpms for
>
> libavutil49
> libavcodec51
> libavformat51
> libswscale0
> libpostproc51
> ffmpeg
>
> have twice been updated, the latest today,  4.9.21 and 4.9.20,
>
> I now get the error
>
> 2007-04-23 20:16:02 Encoding audio to ac3
> 2007-04-23 20:16:03
> 2007-04-23 20:16:03 ERROR: Failed while running ffmpeg to re-encode the audio
> to ac3
> Command was ffmpeg -v 0 -y -i '/home/mythtv/work/1/stream0.mp2' -f ac3 -ab 192
> -ar 48000 '/home/mythtv/work/1/stream0.ac3'
> 2007-04-23 20:16:03
> 2007-04-23 20:16:03
> 2007-04-23 20:16:05 Terminated
>
> I am assuming that the new-er rpms are responsible for this
>
> I think someone else reported that transcode was broken, and that was updated
> the first time that ffmpeg was updated (over the last couple of days), it
> mighht be relevent as when I try to remove the newer rpms for ffmpeg and co,
> rpm reports that transcode is a dependence.

ffmpeg have changed the meaning of the audio bit rate parameter (-ab) to
mean bits/sec and not Kbits/sec so in the example above you need to
change '-ab 192'  to '-ab 192k'.

I've already updated the encoding profiles to the new format  in svn
trunk and fixes but forgot about  those instances in the script where it
is used.

Paul H.