[mythtv-users] Screensaver, I want it!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 24 04:21:35 UTC 2007

On 04/23/2007 10:48 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> I'm now presented with two issues.  1, the screen saver kicks in regardless
>> if I am watching TV or not. 2, I can't seem to wake the machine from the
>> remote once it has initiated.  From my research I have read of others
>> talking about a mythtv "function" that disables the screensaver when
>> entering live tv.
>>
> I installed xscreensaver and it works just fine. Doesn't kick in while
> watching a recording and pressing a remote key turns it off. Have a
> look at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/257733?search_string=Screensaver;#257733

And note that Myth's code will /only/ disable xscreensaver.  Not xlock,
not xlockmore, not bob's fancy screensaver program, not the X built-in
screensaver (i.e. "xset s ...").

Also, note that "xset s ..." has absolutely nothing to do with
xscreensaver.  The only useful thing xset can do for xscreensaver is
enable or disable DPMS (which can be used by xscreensaver if enabled by
the X configuration and xset).

Note that some distros may install something that's not xscreensaver
(i.e. xlockmore) and create an xscreensaver "wrapper" script.  If this
is the case, Myth's xscreensaver support probably won't help...

Mike