[mythtv-users] mythvideo file ordering weirdness

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Mon Apr 23 19:56:44 UTC 2007

> However when listed in mythvideo the bits inside the [ ] are omitted,
> meaning that the order becomes jumbled, so the above two files would
> appear as:

MythVideo sorts by title, if you don't give a title (directory browsing for
example) it generates one from the file name. This generation involves (in
part) remove things between [](){} (I didn't check when, but I wouldn't bet
against Michael T. Dean).

In your specific case, this seems less than ideal because you have data that
would be reasonable to sort and possibly display. At least an equally likely
scenario is one where the content of brackets will contain encoding, format,
and/or resolution information.

The DB solutions mentioned will do you no good if you just use file
browsing, if you switch to storing metadata in the DB you can change the
title.

I don't have time (right now) to go back to 0.19 and check to see if it was
different. I'm certainly willing to admit it is possible (until I check,
probably later tonight).

If I look and find that it is the same in 0.19 I'm going to assume that if
someone is really bothered by this issue they will submit a reasonable patch
fixing it. Having an option passed to GenerateDefaultSortKey that would put
filenames before titles would be easy (an easy local change as well).

--
Anduin Withers