[mythtv-users] boot off compact flash

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:12:41 UTC 2007

> Can anyone who is booting off compact flash tell me how they
> "partition" their system, please?
>
> Do you keep the sql database (/var/mysql or whatever) on the flash
> drive, or just the o/s files?
>
> I have a 4gig CFcard kicking around here which I thought to use for
> this, but it was quite a cheap one, and probably quite slow. I don't
> know how this would affect DB read-write access, or how DB read-write
> access would affect the life of the card. Any comments?
>
> I plan to use Gentoo for my MythTV system, rather than the MiniMyth
> mentioned in the article you link to.
> Gentoo's package manager (Portage) stores just under 100,000 small
> files, about 1gig all together, as it's "package database" so I plan
> to put /usr/portage/ on a small partition of one of my video disks
> (as I plan not to perform upgrades during recording or playback).
>
> Stroller.

Minimyth is a customised distribution intended for use in remote
frontend pcs, it's not a full mythtv install like Mythdora or
Knoppmyth.

The cf card in minimyth is used to load the system into memory and
then connect to the mythbackend on a separate pc.  For a normal
backend I don't see what the advantage to using a cf card would be,
but maybe that's just my short-sightedness :)

HTH

Ver