[mythtv-users] Starting from scratch ..yet again. Ubunto to Kubuntu for me I think.

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Apr 23 08:57:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 07:43 +0100, Damian Surr wrote:
> I'm going to browse the gossamer threads for partitions advise, but the
> main thing I was wanting to know about was having a separate partition
> for 'home' and naming the large partition.
>
> The Ubuntu Myth guide had me put all myth recordings etc in something
> like '/var/lib' (What the hell's var/lib??). After doing that I noticed
> a much more user friendly guide suggesting a separate partition called
> /video. Can you call and mount a partition whatever you want? I plan to
> have all my music on the system as well, so maybe I should have
> something like '/media' on a separate drive and use /media/video in Myth
> and /media/music etc.

What I did is have my recordings go into /var/spool/mythtv/, then I have
a NAS (Infrant ReadyNAS NV) exporting NFS shares that I mount
as /mnt/movies/, /mnt/media/mp3/, /mnt/media/images/, etc... I suppose I
could have streamlined it a little to have /mnt/media/movies instead,
but there are other issues.  In any case, I'm not a big fan of having
mount points off of the root.  And since I use Fedora, /media is
reserved for removable media (so that if I have an external USB drive
with the volume label "video", it'll mount as /media/video.  So
using /media is out.  YMMV...

> Cheers for any last minute tips/advice.

No worries!

	-I