[mythtv-users] Starting VNCServer Auto-magically

John Hardman tptac.jhardman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 22:01:34 UTC 2007

Running a root VNC on a home network that is not accessible from the rest of
the world is not a big problem.

On FC you need to edit your /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file

You will want a line like this, the users need to all be on the same line

 VNCSERVERS="1:root 2:someuser"

 VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 800x600 -depth 24"
 VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 24"

After you have saved that file, you need to issue vncpasswd logged in as
each user, su someuser

Now as root (assuming you followed the advise from Ben) service vncservers
start

Now you should have a new set of files in each users home dir, xstartup,
edit and uncomment the lines... (these are hidden files/dirs in .vnc)
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Last but not least su to root and # touch .Xauthority in each users home
directory.

Restart the vncservers and you should be good to go. Remember you will be
connecting on port 5901 for root and 5902 for someuser.

HTH