[mythtv-users] HD-5500 will not tune NTSC channels.

Thomas Kessler electronikjunkie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:18:54 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, Thomas Kessler <electronikjunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/21/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Kessler wrote:
> > > I just upgraded to Ubuntu Feisty. Here are some of the steps and code
> > > associated with my problem:
> > >
> > > -Added: cx88-dvb to /etc/modules
> > > -Setup up the HD-5500 as a DVB device in MythTV
> > > -Added my channel listing from Zap2It
> > > -Setup input for HD-5500 V4L device using "fetch channels"
> > > -Ran mythfilldatabase
> > > -Checked dmesg and found no errors.
> > > -Started mythfrontend
> > > -Went to watch LiveTV and got no channels.
> > > -Output from dmesg after trying to tune a channel:
> > >
> > > [  252.057272] lgdt330x: lgdt3303_read_snr: Modulation set to
> > > unsupported value
> > > [   252.057681] lgdt330x: lgdt3303_read_snr: Modulation set to
> > > unsupported value
> > > [  252.059715] KERN_WARNING lgdt330x: lgdt3303_read_status: Modulation
> > > set to unsupported value (this message is repeated about 75 times)
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what the problem is here?
> > >
> > Not sure about this but for most hd devices you need to do a channel
> > scan to import the required frequency info. Google for a howto.
>

> Actually the HD-5500 is 2 devices in one. It does NTSC and ATSC. For the
> NTSC side I should be able to just "fetch channels from listing" in setup,
> do a mythfilldatabase, and it should work.
>
> TK

So, I loaded both the cx88-dvb and cx8800 modules. Then I verified both
worked with tvtime and azap/mplayer. So this is definitely an issue with
MythTV. I suppose it's the same issue as being unable to scan with the
2.6.20 kernel on DVB cards? I'll try installing SVN 12618, maybe that will
fix the problem???

TK