[mythtv-users] RFC: backend transcode on the fly

Tom Metro tmetro+mythtv-users at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 21:58:46 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I have several front ends, none of which can display true HD.
>
> I'm thinking of a on-the-fly transcode that the backend would use to
> reduce the resolution so it's suitable for the frontend.

Isn't this the kind of problem VLC was designed for?

http://www.videolan.org/

It supports "on the fly transcoding."

It seems to be popular with people who use the Hauppauge MediaMVP
hardware as a front-end, which can only natively handle MPEG2 video.
VLC's streaming server is used to convert various video formats to MPEG2
on the fly.

  -Tom