[mythtv-users] Low Power MythTV Server on Via EPIA M6000 - 37 watts

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:45:19 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it's possible to put MythTV machines into standby when not
> > recording, but support is hit or miss depending on whether or not your
> > motherboard is supported by the nvram-wakup application.
>
> I've used nvram-wakeup on three motherboards, none of which were
> officially supported but all of which worked using the manual
> cofinguration described in the documentation.  So it's worth having a
> go, even if you don't see a configuration file provided for your
> motherboard.

Yeah, I tried and failed miserably to get nvram-wakeup working with my
motherboard. The generated conf file was invalid (had some duplicate
entries) but after I hacked those out I would get a checksum error and
bios reset since it wasn't generating a correct checksum after that I
suppose.

> Or look at using ACPI, which is a bit more elegant if your motherboard
> supports it.  Things to watch out for are that your motherboard may
> need 'wake on timer' to be disabled, to allow ACPI wakeup to work, and
> linux generally resets the system clock on shutdown, which undoes the
> wakeup setting.  My fix on Fedora was to edit /etc/init.d/halt to
> restore the ACPI settings after the hardware clock reset.
>
> (If you use mythwelcome, then I don't think this supports ACPI wakeup)

Do you have a link to more docs regarding ACPI shutdown/wakeup?

-Dave