[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:32:31 UTC 2007

On 3/23/07, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> Going to see if I can't build the appleir module as an out-of-tree,
> stand-alone kernel module, rather than building a patched kernel...

Having played about with the ir receiver a bit now I don't think that
the appleir module is going to be too useful. appleir only generates
events for keys on the original apple remote so couldn't be used
(unaltered) with a generic remote.

It's worth noting that the apple ir receiver gets automatically
detected as a HID device. I've used a (very) short program (not handy
at the moment but drop me an email if anybody wants the source) that
reads the raw data from the /dev/hiddev0 device when ir keypresses are
received. I think this could be turned into a lirc driver (the dvico
lirc driver uses the same method) without too much hassle.

One 'problem' I have found is that I believe the apple ir receiver
does not support all / many ir protocols, or maybe it only supports
one protocol. I only see events generated using the original apple
remote and the remote for my Matsui (i.e. cheap rubbish) TV, no data
is generated when I point the remote for my Sony freeview box or a
Sky+ remote at the receiver. I'm not too sure of the implications of
this but it certainly seems to limit the number of compatible remote
controls, maybe somebody else with more knowledge in this area can
supply 2 cents.

Stephen Williams