[mythtv-users] Dreambox (Linux) Sat-tuner + MythTV?...

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Thu Apr 19 19:52:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, April 19, 2007 19:24, Razza wrote:
> F Peeters at 17 April 2007 13:31 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am considering venturing in to the world of digital satellite TV
>> (DVB-S).
>> , as analog cable is getting worse by the month, especially as they now
>> have moved all 35 channels up to UHF to free the VHF band for digital
>> cable! (Aside from the limited lineup available!)
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Rather than mucking around with DVB-S cards, I am considering getting a
>> Dreambox dual (Linux) sat-tuner (which has an Ethernet port, 2 CI slots
>> and 2 built in card-reader slots, as well as twin tuners) to do the
>> tuning
>> and (where required) decrypting for me... (disclaimer: Yes, I *do*
>> intend
>> to get a subscription for the encrypted channels!!!)
>>
>> I noticed there is support for DBOX2, and as that is (also?) the name
>> of
>> the Dreambox' predecessor, I was wondering if that means the Dreambox
>> can
>> also be used to stream the sat channels to the myth BE?
>>
>> Does anybody have a setup like this already?
>
> I thought the DBOX2 (Nokia?) was a different product to a Dreambox (Dream
> Multimedia) - but could be wrong!

I know, that's the problem... There (apparently) was also something called
a DBox2 from a different vendor that went bankrupt...

> If you ever get confirmation of a Dreambox working with MythTV, please let
> me know.

I am actually considering hacking away and build something to allow MythTV
to control a Dreambox, but first I'd have to get satellite...  ;-)

And for that I am still trying to figure out what to get first though!  ;-)

Maybe I'll even be able to find time to create a tuner module for MythTV,
similar to the HDHomeRun or DBox2 modules, to access a DreamBox...

Biggest issues I have are (in no particular order): lack of freely
available money and lack of freely available time...  :-(

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250