[mythtv-users] Firewire does it work at 100% if so what do you use

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:37:45 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Astie, Sebastien <sastie at us.nomura.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I picked up 4 cable boxes (SA4250HD) at my local cablevision store.
> They all have the firewire enabled, when I hooked up one of them to my
> motherboard onboard firewire, I got to get all the HD channels in clear
> (even the premium ones) then suddenly they vanished. I have 3 HDHomerun
> boxes that tune the QAM local channels they are rock solid.
> There have bee lots of instances where test-mpeg2 was getting the stream
> perfectly but not mythtv.
> Now I cannot even get test-mpeg2 to produce any file (size is always
> zero) but plugreport shows my cable boxes properly.
>
> I tried the following firewire cards to no avail:
>
> Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 (nforce 3 ultra) onboard firewire.
> (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?
> ProductID=1839&ModelName=GA-K8NS%20Ultra-939)
>

> Ultra Products ULT31342 3-Port 1394 Firewire PCI Card
> (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4077753)
>
> Rosewill RC-502 NEC 3+1 Port Firewire/1394a PCI Card (ULEAD 8.0 VS-SE +
> Cable Bundle) Model RC-502 - Retail - Retail
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815265003)
>
> SYBA PCI to Firewire 1394a 3+1 ports controller card Model SD-NEC-4F -
> Retail
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124003)
>

> If there is some of you out there who make the firewire input works
> reliably please tell me what you are using as Firewire card and
> hardware...
>
> BTW I am running a AMD 64 X2 4400 with 4GB of RAM on Fedora Core 6
> x86_64 with 2.6.20-1.2944 kernel.
>
> Thanks
>

> Notice for Sales & Trading Communication
>
> The information, tools and material presented in this email have been
> prepared by individual Sales and/or Trading personnel of Nomura Securities,
> International, Inc. ("Nomura"). References to Nomura research reports should
> be read in conjunction with the full text of the actual report. Please
> access the following link for important related information and instructions
> for accessing Nomura Research reports.
>
> Http://www.nomura.com/americas/NoticeforSalesandTrading.html

> confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If
> you receive this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your
> system, destroy any hard copies and notify the sender. You must not,
> directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part
> of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Nomura Holding
> America Inc., Nomura Securities International, Inc, and their respective
> subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications
> through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
> individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender
> is authorized to state the views of such entity. Unless otherwise stated,
> [...]

Are you using Broadcast or P2P?  not sure about those boxes, but mine
dtc6200 won't work reliably at all using p2p.  Once setup for broadcast they
are pretty solid. Unfortunately I don't get all channels like you do.  If I
reboot I do have to run the firewire_tester -B -n 1(or 0) to "reset" it.
Once I do that it is pretty solid until the next reboot.

Chris