[mythtv-users] SD only Frontend video card advice

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Thu Apr 19 15:19:00 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> David Campbell wrote:
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> Folks running Myth with nVidia-based video cards just about always
>>> use the nVidia drivers for them. Support for the "older than 5200"
>>> cards you mention is no longer present in the current drivers, so you
>>> have to go to "legacy" drivers, which means the automatic and/or
>>> "simple" installation methods used by various Linux distros will
>>> probably not work, and you will have to manually fetch and probably
>>> compile the old drivers yourself.
>>>
>> Unless you are riding the tidal wave of Linux domination that is team
>> [K]Ubuntu
>>
>> DC
>>
> I take that to mean that (K)Ubuntu has some sort of method to install
> the legacy nVidia drivers that the typical Ubuntu user can use easily.

Yes

> It still means you are running "legacy" drivers that are probably not
> being actively developed, and quite likely are not even having
> security-related fixes applied. Nothing essentially wrong with that as
> long as you understand what's happening.
>
> The OP was trying to decide between a 5200 and an older card. Personally
> I'd spend the extra money to get the newer driver support, but that
> might not be true for everyone.

I'd agree with that.  It's a relatively cheap component so I'd certainly
get the newer card.  I have had some issues in the past on my MX4000.

> My main point was to be sure the OP knew that there software issues as
> well as hardware differences between the two options he was considering.

Sure  - I was making a flippant point.  Sorry.

> (I tried out Kbuntu and was not particularly impressed. Any distro that
> starts out by telling me that I am too stupid to be root has lost me,
> but the distro seems to be popular and that's the good thing about Linux
> - many choices. Personally if I want to run Debian I'll run Debian, not
> a stripped-down version with GUIs for everything that says I "don't
> need" to be root.)

I never understood why people got more upset with 'sudo bash' over 'su -'

I like Kubuntu as a desktop and a myth box - professionally I remaining
using various flavours of Redhat.  In two years time I'd imagine both of
  these might change.

Dave