[mythtv-users] Changing mythtv's password

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:16:29 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
> As soon as a show finishes recording toniight, I hope to change mythtv's
> password on my combined front-back end box.
>
> Let me say what I think I need to do and then ask for corrections or
> additions. I want to avoid hosing my system in my newbie haste.
>
> 1. Change the mythtv Linux password using passwd
>
> 2. Change the mythtv password in the FE mythsetup on screen 1
>
> 3. Change the mySql mythtv password
>
> 4. restart mythtv
>
> 5. All three passwords must be the same.
>
> These are my best guesses submitted for comment.
>
> I don't know if I need to mess with anything in apache or any other
> service. I'm using MythDora 3.2, and httpd is running .. but I haven't
> gotten around to experimenting with MythWeb.
>
> I'm really most unsure of step 3. Should I do this as root? What is the
> program, mysqladmin? What is the command?
>
>   mysqladmin -U mythtv password <new password>
>
> ????
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> --
> Lan Barnes

The three passwords to not necessarily need to be the same.  A quick
google search shows you hwo to change a password in mysql.  My
question to you though, is why bother?   The only time I see a reason
to do this is if the system is some how exposed to the outside world.
 I don't see much need to have a myth server accessible from the
public internet imho.

-Bill