[mythtv-users] Problems with NFS

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 19 01:30:38 UTC 2007

>Hi,
>
>I am having an issue with my NFS mounts.   I have a raid server, which stores media files (music, video, pictures, etc).
>
>My problem:  I can mount the NFS directories without issue and I can read files from those directories also with no issues.  However, if I try and move/copy a file from a directory locally located on the machine onto a NFS mounted directory the move/copy will start and then hang.  looking at the process using 'ps aux' shows the applicable process hanging with a D+.  Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  From the computer that has the NFS directories mounted, I can 'cd' into the NFS mounted directory and create files.  ie: I could do "touch test" and "rm test" without issue.

Is it actually completely hanging (forever) or just slow? I'm having
an issue with a RAID server mounted over NFS where while a copy is in
progress, accessing the NFS mount becomes really slow. For example,
if I type "ls -l /mnt/videos" (/mnt/videos is where the server is
mounted at), while I'm copying a large file to the NFS server, the
'ls' command can take over a minute to complete.
The linux kernel mailing list has some discussions about NFS stalls,
but those should have been fixed in the kernel-version I'm using.