[mythtv-users] mythwelcome and backend suspend clash

karl at digital-end.com karl at digital-end.com
Wed Apr 18 22:02:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is my first post to the list, so I'd just like to thank everyone
involved in the MythTV project for creating such a great piece of
software!

Ok, my problem is that I've setup mythtv-backend using the following guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake
so that ACPI wake is set, and I've set the 'Server Halt Command' to:
sudo /usr/sbin/pmi action sleep
in order to send the computer to sleep (S3). This works fine manually and
also when mythtv-backend has no activity and reaches the end of its
countdown, it goes into suspend and wakes without problems.

Unfortunately, when I also use mythwelcome, the computer freezes upon
resuming. It doesn't make it back to X, and nothing appears in syslog, so
there's not much to go on, but clearly mythwelcome is doing something to
upset the suspend and resume managed by the backend.

I've tried removing all the configurable settings from mythwelcome, but
it's obviously still trying to do *something* different when mythwelcome
is used, but what? Could someone shed some light on the matter, or give me
a direction to go in? I'd really like to use Mythwelcome as it makes
re-launching MythTv much easier and provides a cleaner solution.

Just to make it clear, here's the important details on the backend:
Set wakeuptime command: sudo /usr/bin/MythWakeSet $time
Server halt command: sudo /usr/sbin/pmi action sleep
pre shutdown check command: exit 0

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl