[mythtv-users] blue screen issue

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 18 18:27:56 UTC 2007

On 04/18/2007 12:42 PM, matt lutz wrote:
>  On 4/18/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 04/18/2007 08:21 AM, matt lutz wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to use an old laptop with a busted LCD screen as a
> >> front-end only device.  It's a p4 (2Ghz).  I loaded FC6 onto it
> >> and most things seem to work okay.  Unfortunately when trying to
> >> watch live tv or recorded programs, all I see is a blue screen.
> >> All of the menus & preview video is fine.
> >
> > Your video drivers only support Xv output on the first display (as
> > do pretty much all of them--ATI, NVIDIA, ...).  Therefore, the
> > /right/ answer is to tell X /not/ to use the LCD (which becomes the
> > first display).  Set up X to ignore the LCD and use /only/ the
> > monitor.  This means, a default X configuration won't work.
>
>  Thanks for the input.  I thought it might have something to do with
>  that, but my xorg.conf only references a single screen.  Here it is:

>  Is there anything you can see that I would need?  Understand that I
>  physically ripped the LCD off of the laptop, so it may not be
>  registering as a valid output.

Basically, it comes down to your integrated "video card" and the ATI
drivers knowing that the laptop has an output for the LCD and one for
the VGA.

Things to try, disable the dual-output in the BIOS and ensure only the
VGA output is enabled (disable the LCD and TV-out and any other
output).  Then, if that doesn't work, you'll have to dig through the ATI
driver documentation.  If you're not using the VGA output (and are using
a TV-out output), things will definitely be more difficult.

Unfortunately, I don't use the ATI Linux drivers, so I won't be any help
with them.

Mike