[mythtv-users] Channel listings/XMLTV problem

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:08:27 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Piers Kittel <mythtv at biased.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
> A few days ago, I transferred my database and recordings to new
> hardware with a different hostname.  Now am trying to set up the
> channel listings.  I'm using dual Nova-T DVB cards recording UK
> Freeview.  I am having problems, so I have backed up the database,
> flushed it, and started again from scratch.  I've gone through the
> steps through mythtv-setup - adding both DVB cards, assigning an UK
> XML grabber for both cards, disabling EIT downloads, adding in a list
> of channels I want XMLTV to grab, and scanning for channels, and
> "binding" the two.  Then I finish mythtv-setup.  I now then check
> mythweb, and I see a list of channels all correct, right numbers, etc
> etc, but all with "No data" as expected.  I then run
> mythfilldatabase, which downloads all the XML stuff and populates the
> guide.  I then refresh mythweb and see there's now new channels added
> on that's populated, and the original channels is empty of data.  I
> can watch the original channels, but not the new channels created by
> mythfilldatabase, which raises an error.  So if I schedule a
> recording, the backend tries to record the channel created by
> mythfilldatabase, but of course, it fails as the channel isn't bound
> to the DVB card.
> I tried to combine the two but for the life of me, I can't see how to
> do this.  I'm sure I've missed an extremely essential step, but what?

You haven't really missed anything as there is currently no
straightforward way to match scanned DVB channels to XMLTV IDs,
although I am thinking about taking a stab at it.

> As a temporary solution, I've set up a EIT only grabber for the DVB
> cards, ignoring XMLTV - it works, although old schedules I've made
> doesn't work any more - works fine with the XMLTV channels, but not
> the DVB scanned channels.  If I enable both, then all channels gets
> populated, but the backend always ignore the DVB channels and chooses
> the XMLTV channels which doesn't work.

As Michael suggests, the easiest way to correct your channels is to
use MythWeb and manually match up the channels with their relevant
XMLTV IDs. This is what I did a couple of years ago, and it works
perfectly once it is setup. I have also seen a few SQL scripts
floating around in the last few years which do the same thing, albeit
automatically, but I'm not sure how up to date these are now.

You may have read recent messages describing issues with the uk_rt
grabber (Radio Times) but the issues have always been corrected and
works well.

MythTV Official wiki:
MythTV users list archive:

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list