[mythtv-users] I can watch, but I can't record

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Apr 17 19:50:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 11:20, Rich Wilson wrote:
> On 4/17/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/16/07, Rich Wilson <richaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Watching live TV works fine (although not analog TV, but I assume
> > > that's a different question). However, if I go to program guide and
> > > start a recording, and then try to watch it, I just see noise, as if an
> > > analog TV is tuned to a non-existent channel.
> > Reads like a problem with your Tuner setup.
> Thanks Chad, you pointed me in the right direction.
> One problem solved, another still there:
>
> In mythtv-setup, under Input connections, I had defined
> [V4L:/dev/video0](Television) to be antenna. When I changed
> that connection back to (None), the recording function now works.
> But now, tuning to an analog channel doesn't even pretend to
> work, like it used to. It just returns to whatever channel I was
> watching before.

I'm not positive, but I think your problem may be that you're trying to use
both tuner configurations with a single channel lineup. In a mixed
digital/analog configuration, you've normally got to create two channel
lineups, one for each tuner. This is true even though you've got a single
card handling both digital and analog. If you try to use a single lineup, the
software can get confused and it might tell the analog tuner to tune a
digital channel or vice-versa, which won't work. My hunch is this is what was
causing the problem you first described. When you removed the analog
configuration, you fixed this problem but of course lost the ability to tune
analog stations.

So: Go to your http://labs.zap2it.com account (assuming that's what you're
using for guide data) and create two lineups. (You've presumably already got
one, so you'd need to create the second one.) You might need to create two
separate accounts for this if you're receiving OTA, but I'm foggy on the
details of how you'd do this, since I'm using cable. In mythtv-setup, you
assign one lineup to the digital input(s) and the other lineup to the analog
input(s). In theory, it should all then work.

One caveat: I own a couple of pcHDTV 3000 cards. Your pcHDTV 5500 requires
slightly different drivers, and I don't know if there might be any
peculiarities or "gotchas" with the 5500 card and drivers.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com