[mythtv-users] Laptop Diskless Front End

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 18 00:21:03 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Steve wrote:

> Yep, this is the main reason I want to put mine to use.  It has been
> through a major car wreck, and traveled about 8000 miles around the
> world with me, and the only probs are 2 dead keys on the keyboard and
> the HD which only died once I pulled it and used it as a portable.  I
> agree the display is very nice, mine has the xtra large 15" display
> which is another reason for me wanting to put it to use.

Yep, that's the one I have, right down to the 15" display. I don't
have to ask you wjat youpaid for it because I know, it was state-of-
the-art when it came out.

> If you cant find a use for yours can I have your RAM ;)

I think I will find *something* to do with it.

I have NFS mounted my Myth recordings directory and played the MPEG2
files via mplayer over an 802.11b link. It works, with a few
glitches, but you want to make sure anything you do not really need
is shut down. A lot of distros seem to start every service known to
human sciencs whether you want them to or not.

Trying to run a full Myth frontend pretty much brought it to its
knees trying to watch liveTV, but I didn't really play with it too
much. I was trying it with KDE, using a minimal (or even no) window
manager would no doubt help.

BTW - these machines are available for $150-$175 at a local surplus
store here, they're not always in stock, they come and go. I think
the place gets them surplus from the State (Wyoming).

> Thanks for your great advice Brian

All of it free and all of it worth precisely what it cost.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org