[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 17 23:07:24 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2007, at 17:20, Brian Wood wrote:
>> There were a couple of threads mentioned here in the last month or 2
>> that came from other lists, and a couple of folks who *purport* to do
>> data recovery for a living claimed that ...
>>
>> Please note that this is third-hand information from a non-
>> authoritative source. For all I know those posts came from marketing
>> people for the mentioned manufacturers.
>
> I can assure you that the poster mentioned by name in the thread I
> linked to does not merely PURPORT to recover data for a living - he
> certainly bailed me out when the hard-drive of a customers' machine
> died whilst I was working on it. There was no way I could take it
> back to the customer and say "you know how it was crashing sometimes
> & I was supposed to fix that? Well, I lost all your data, instead".
> Another customer of mine was very pleased with his "purported" work
> when I arrived on site after the drive failure.
>
> Yes, I appreciate this is anecdotal, not empirical, evidence but as
> opinions go (on the subject of the most reliable brands of hard-drive
> to buy) I can't think of anyone's opinion I'd rather trust. With all
> respect to yourself I'd certainly trust Odie's opinion on the subject
> more than yours, and I'm not quite sure why you bothered mentioning
> which drives you've personally found reliable (or otherwise) when you
> then went on to describe such hearsay as "diluted, suspect" and
> "questionable".

Personally I agree with you, I read that poster's comments and I was
convinced.

But that does not mean I have the right to state categorically that
what I read were *facts*. I did not know the poster personally, and I
had not done business with him or her.

This is why I stated what I *knew*, where I had obtained that
information, and I encouraged anyone reading my post to do their own
research. The folks here on this list are fairly bright, and should
be given the opportunity to evaluate the information by themselves.

The whole point of this list is for people to let others know what
they know, without adding or subtracting from it. If somebody who
reads the post knows more and adds that to the thread, then that's
great, as it's the way it's supposed to work.

The word "purport" was in no way meant in a negative sense, just to
mean what Webster says it means.

Had the posts regarding drive quality turned out to be from
manufacturer's representatives I can assure you nobody would have
complained that I had qualified my statements.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org