[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Apr 17 22:48:46 UTC 2007

jedi at mishnet.org <jedi at mishnet.org> says:
> Don't bother with the minnows. Go straight for the whales.
> While it's true that the price per gigabyte for the 750GB drives is
> higher than the smaller drives (even when Frys is running a sale),
> you end up with with more than 3x the potential maximum capacity
> based on how many drives you can support.

For those interested in high definition, I have to agree. I built my
RAID 6 array--as ginormous as it was, and is--using 500GB instead of
750GB drives, contrary to my past behavior of always buying the
largest drives available. As much as I did save money up front on both
an absolute and price/GB basis, now I'm regretting that decision
because it's going to now make me figure out how to drum up yet more
space that much sooner. Just call me the Red Queen.