[mythtv-users] HD canada

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Tue Apr 17 18:23:14 UTC 2007

> Daniel Agar wrote:
>> What are other Canadians doing for HD content? I can't receive any atsc
>> broadcasts where I'm located so what other options do we have in Canada
>> (Southern Ontario). After some quick googling I haven't seen any success
>> stories in using rogers digital STBs with firewire or anything with bell
>> expressvu other than PVR 150x with IR blasters.
>>
>> What do Canadians do for HDTV?
>>
>> sidenote
>> Why are rogers and bell so damn evil?
>
> Where are you located? Your cableco probably broadcasts some digital
> stuff. A lot of local stations are starting to get ready to broadcast
> atsc OTA, since they must down-grade any simulcast US stuff.
>
> As for me, I do not *YET* do any HD. Rogers wants too much money. I do
> get digital SD.
>
> I am presently looking into putting up an antenna. I should be able to
> get about 14 channels...but only 5 or 6 will be HD at first.
>
> This site http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/ON.html
>

> lists all of the TV stations in Ontario and a fair number are already
> digital
>
> Geoff

In the words of another mythtv-user, I'm in no-mans land for OTA. Are you
getting digital SD content through a rogers set top box? I think that
would be a great start for me, just to see if using a STB with firewire is
feasible.

Also, is your digital SD content 4:3 or widescreen? My main reason for
wanting HD is just to use my entire screen, not just a 4:3 box in the
center or having to scretch the content, which I think looks awful.

Daniel