[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 17 16:20:40 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>> Ask the folks who do data recovery for a living what drives they
>> never see in their shops - the answer will not be Seagate, though as
>> with everything they can be OK for the price if you understand what
>> you're getting.
>>
> What drives don't show up in the shops?

I really hate to suggest specific vendors, for a lot of reasons, but:

There were a couple of threads mentioned here in the last month or 2
that came from other lists, and a couple of folks who *purport* to do
data recovery for a living claimed that it was their *opinion* that
the recent Samsung and Fuji drives were the most reliable of the IDE/
SATA type drives.

A recent "survey" by Google was also mentioned.

Please note that this is third-hand information from a non-
authoritative source. For all I know those posts came from marketing
people for the mentioned manufacturers. Google is a marketing
company, not an engineering study group, and they are trying to sell
things that are not even hardware, so I take their "survey" with a
large grain of salt. This may all be gospel-fact hard data, but I
have no way to know that for sure.

I have personally never had a Fuji drive fail on me, and I have had
several Seagate and Maxtor units fail, but the sample size is way too
low to be statistically valid, and even the drives that failed gave
me many months of reliable service.

Obviously the most reliable drives are likely to be the commercially-
rated SCSI drives, but I suspect these are not used too much in
MythTV systems.

I'd advise doing your own research, and always remember you get what
you pay for, and perhaps less, but almost never more.

So I've told you what I know, but the information is so diluted,
suspect and of questionable origin that IMHO it is essentially
meaningless.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org