[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:15:20 UTC 2007

> Seagate's 5-year warranty is marketing, not engineering. IMHO the
> hassle of keeping the documentation and perhaps the packaging, paying
> for shipping, perhaps both ways, and going through the process of
> replacement. Seagate/Maxtor (they are the same Co. now) knows that
> the odds of someone actually getting a warranty replacement for a 5-
> year-old drive is close to nil. I'd rather pay more for a drive that
> won't fail on me in the first place, even if it has no warranty.

A five year warranty is not marketing.  A five year warranty is a five year
warranty.  I can't talk about seagate in particular, but I have gotten six
different hard drives replaced under warranty.  I switched to SCSI years ago
primarily because of the longer warranty for SCSI drives.  The longer
warranty is the primary reason why SCSI is more expensive not hardware
cost.  For a harddrive that will be powered on as much as a MythTV drive the
longer warranty is very important.

As for the original question I think a network attached storage RAID
enclosure is what you want to use.  That will allow you to use RAID without
any Linux driver issues.